Next on the list of lenses to test is the awesome Asahi Takumar 6X7 105mm f2.4 SMC.
Here is what I am doing to try and get comparable results. I.e consistent setup
- Level and 90degrees shooting for even length to focus plane and the setup.
- Same framing for all lenses. I.e longer focal length will be shot from further away to achieve same framing. (see images below)
- Lighting is done by softbox and flash to eliminate any motion-blur.
- ISO50 for low noise, 1/200sec shutter and exposure adjusted through flash.
- Shot tethered into CaptureOne Pro 9, with only White balance, CA and Crop adjustment - No additional sharpness added. exported to 100% quality Jpeg in sRGB at 2048px wide.
This bad boy comes in at 621g, but with the adaptors and the camera body it goes well beyond 1KG when assembled. This lens is also the fastest lens for the Pentax67 (6x7) system as far as I a aware. (if you know of any faster, please share;) )
Actually this lens is a little smaller than the SMC 55mm I tested previously, and its build like “even if there is no tomorrow, there will still be this lens” all metal and buttery smooth focus ring and -no surprise- a massive lens element.
And as with all the old manual MF lenses, a long focus throw. The lens goes from f2.4 to f22, and on the Sony A7RII it acts as a 210mm DOF as a f4.8, Light gathering:f2.4.
Above shots are f2.4, f4, f5.6, f8, f11, f16
Below is a 100% crop for pixel peeping, please open the image in a new window or download to see in full size.
Real life photography examples
I have been enjoying this lens tremendously the last week, and it is just a real joy to use, -heavy yes- but still small enough that it easily fits in may daily ipad mini sized bag with an extra lens and room to spare, and fast enough that I can handhold it and still get reasonable sharp pictures despite the focal length with the help of the Sony A7RII on sensor stabilization. It looks and weighs the part of a “FrankenMonster”, but in reality its about the same size as a Canon 6D with a 24-70 lens. I cant quite put my finger on it but there is some character to the images from this leans that I really like. In summery, very much worth the $299 I payed on ebay + shipping